Spring is in full bloom, and we’re in full on spring-cleaning mode. The idea of cleaning the whole house can be daunting; we suggest focusing on one room a week.
Use this spring cleaning guide and free printable checklist to stay on track, and pair our Home Hygiene freshening fragrances with each room to achieve a refreshed, spring-ready home.
Spring-clean scent pairing: Home Hygiene Citrus and Sage
The fresh zest of ripe Italian lemons and Persian limes harmoniously blend with cooling clary sage and a touch of verbena to energize your home with sparkling freshness.
The winter months of holiday baking, dinner gatherings and parties are over, which for many people means the kitchen is in need for a major spring refresh.
- When was the last time you deep cleaned your sink? Fill your sink with hot soapy water and pour in 1-cup bleach. Let stand for about an hour, then empty and scrub clean using a paste made from water and baking soda. Rinse well.
- Floors: Sweep well (be sure to remove any moveable furniture), mop with a heavy-duty cleaner (or a homemade concoction of equal parts vinegar and hot water) and wash throw rugs.
- Countertops: Use a diluted solution of water and mild dish soap to wipe clean counters. For a natural disinfectant, fill a spray bottle with a solution of 1 tablespoon hydrogen peroxide to 1 cup water; spray down the surface and wipe clean.
- Cabinets/Pantry: Remove everything from inside and organize like items together. Trash any junk items (such as lids without a matching container). Clean cabinet interiors, doors and knobs. Take inventory of items, restock everyday essentials, and create storage solutions (bins, baskets) for easy access.
- Refrigerator: Discard any expired or suspect foods, such as that condiment jar that you haven’t touched for a year!
- Appliances: Appliances are an easy one to forget about. Clean all surfaces, including the inside of the microwave, stovetop range and coffee maker. Experiment with all-natural cleaning solutions made using baking soda, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.
Spring-clean scent pairing: Home Hygiene Linen and Lemon
A breath of fresh air full of positive vibes. Clean laundry and citrus notes of lemon and sweet orange are softened with watery notes and lily of the valley.
- Declutter: Try this 15-minute living room cleanup to clear clutter
- Dust: Ceilings, fans, wall photography, lamps and entertainment appliances (TV, stereo, remotes)
- Vacuum: Carpets, couch crevices, pillows, slipcovers, lampshades, and rugs
- Curtains/blinds/drapery: Wash or bring to a professional cleaner
Spring-clean scent pairing: Home Hygiene Lavender and Bergamot
A peaceful lavender field soothes the soul. Hints of bright mandarin and bergamot complete the refreshing yet serene feeling.
- Follow the same tips as the living room – be sure to wash all linens including comforter and mattress cover.
Spring-clean scent pairing: Home Hygiene Mint and Eucalyptus
The flourish of a summer herb garden lifts spirits. Fresh mint garnishes bright citrus fruits while eucalyptus exhales of freshness and cleanliness.
- Similar to the kitchen - remove everything, organize items and discard junk.
- Ceilings, Vents, Fans: Carefully remove the vent and fan covers and wash in soapy water. Be sure to wipe down the fan blades and put the covers back together.
- Shower/Tub: Remove soap scum in the shower and tub by spraying with a homemade soap scum remover. Let sit while you continue working. Don’t forget to wash your shower curtain!
- Mirror: Polish and make it sparkle!
- Floors: Sweep and mop. Try mixing a half a cup of baking soda with warm water to make your floors extra clean. Be sure to wash all rugs and
- Sink, Vanity, Toilet: We love washing these bathroom areas with this DIY disinfecting spray.
So tell us – which room in your home are you going to tackle first? Let us know in the comments! And don't forget to try our Home Hygiene Fragrances for a fresh, happy home.
– Aera For Home